Friday, August 27, 2010

Frugal Friday!

I decided to make this Frugal Friday--a day I will share my way of saving some money.  I have been wondering if it really is cheaper for me to pack a lunch for the kids every day, or would it be cheaper for them to buy lunch.  School lunch for them is $1.80 (Ian), $1.95 (Emily), and $2.10 (Josh).  So, I broke down the cost of what they usually have in their lunches.  These prices may vary slightly depending on little things, but they won't change by much.  Here's what I found:
Bread: $.22 per sandwich (2 slices)
Peanut Butter: $.05 per Tbsp
Jelly: $.08 per serving (not quite a Tbsp but almost)
Honey: $.09 per tsp
Turkey (or other meat): $.21 per slice
Cheese: $.12 per slice
Apple Sauce: $.24 per pre-packaged cup, or about $.10 to put 1/4 in a Tupperware container
Fruit cup: $.44 per pre-packaged cup
Granola bar: $.16 each
Lemonade or other juice: $.03 per 6 ounces (the size of the bottle I put it in)

Now, they do not use all of this each day. :)  The most expensive sandwich is the meat and cheese, but even if I make that I'm still saving.  Also, Ian usually has the apple sauce, Emily and Josh like the fruit cups.  Ian and Emily both have the 6 ounce juice bottles that I can fill every day which is cheaper than buying juice boxes (and more environmentally friendly).  Yes, there is a cost for zip lock bags, but since I buy them in bulk at Sams, it is like $.01 per bag.  Plus, Emily and Ian both have the sandwich size containers to use for their sandwiches.  Making the most expensive sandwich for Ian makes his lunch cost about $1.15.  For Emily's most expensive lunch (since she only likes one piece of cheese) it costs $1.39.  Josh typically makes pg&j, although he sometimes makes 2 sandwiches.  It is still only around $1.32 for him to make a lunch.  Total savings???
Ian: $.65/day, $3.25/week
Emily: $.56/day, $2.80/week
Josh: $.78/day, $3.90/week


Please note, again, that this is an average.  There may be days I put more in their lunch, but this gives you an idea of the savings.  Since they are in school about 32 weeks a year, we save an average of $100 per kid if they pack a lunch every day.  Granted, we allow them to buy lunch a couple times a week, but we still save a lot of money!

There you have it.  Proof that it is cheaper to pack a lunch.  Yes, it takes more time, but I think I spend all of 5 minutes making Emily and Ian's lunch in the morning.  Soon, Emily will make her own.  Hope this was helpful!  Have a great Friday!!

No comments: