Saturday, February 28, 2009

Life as a brownie mom

Well, I spent an hour in 20 degree weather with winds making it feel like 6 degrees and blowing snow. Why? Our brownie troop decided to put together a donation drive for the Olathe Animal Control. So, we were going to stand outside Wal-Mart for 2 hours collecting donations. Of course, the weather just had to turn on us. It was 70 degrees two days ago. Today, there was 3-4 inches of snow on the ground! But, being the dedicated leader that I am, I went anyway. Emily was less than thrilled, but when her BFF arrived she perked up a little. Of the 8 girls in my troop 3 showed up. I had one home because she had surgery last Saturday. One was home because her mom injured her foot and didn't want to go out in the weather. Another was at home because her mom had to work. The other 2 . . . .well I have no idea. I was really disappointed! Do we reschedule? This is supposed to be a community service project that all the girls participate in, and now I don't know what to do. And what to do when my daughter seems to be losing interest? I am the leader, but is she doesn't want to continue, then why would I? Sigh. Ok, so this is not a tragedy and the world will continue to turn. I just wonder why I am trying so hard to make things work when no one else seems to care. This is why I quit boy scouts. It was no longer any fun and seemed like a chore. I commend all those women who are lifetime Girl Scouts. I'm just not sure I am one of them.

No comments: