Monday, March 31, 2014

My New Garden Box

Last year Lee and I discussed moving one of my garden boxes from it's location near the house and having it near the back fence instead.  I completed that project a couple weeks ago.  We also discussed building a couple of new garden boxes as well.  Since spring was getting closer I started to think about what I wanted and decided I wanted a U-shaped box.  Lee asked me to draw a design for him.  After looking through some designs online, I made up a very intricate drawing for him of what I wanted.  This is my drawing:


I know, I am quite the artist.   This weekend we went to Home Depot and bought the wood that we needed to build my new garden box.  We made some adjustments to the original design.  One thing that isn't on this drawing is how deep the box will be.  I wanted it to be 18" deep, but Lee had the idea to make the back of the box deeper than the sides.  Also, there is a gate in the middle, which is hard to tell on the drawing.  So, on Saturday we were at the store for a very long time buying supplies.  We spent hours building on Saturday and Sunday.  We also had to return to Home Depot on Sunday because, of course, we needed more wood.  Although it isn't 100% complete, it is almost there.  Here is what my fabulous husband built for me using my oh-so-wonderful drawing.


We are adding chicken wire around the outside, and on the back box, the chicken wire will actually be on panels that are on hinges so I can get access to that part of the box.  The pathway in the middle will have 12"x 12" bricks eventually.  I think next weekend we will get all the dirt we need.  There isn't a huge rush since it is still a little early to start planting my veggies.  Anyway, this is my garden fortress, guaranteed to keep the bunnies out!


No comments: