Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Some more Money Saving Ideas

I don't know about you, but every day I pack a lunch for my daughter and think about how much snacks cost. I do my best to compare prices when I shop, but I still cringe sometimes. Well, one thing I have discovered is that buying the prepackaged little bags is expensive. Yes, it's nice to reach into the cabinet and pull out a bag that has the perfect amount of teddy grahams for lunch. Well, today I bought a box of teddy grahams for $2.18 at Wal-Mart. You can probably get them cheaper on sale or with coupons, but this is probably a good average price. I put about 1/2 cup of the bears into a ziploc bag. This works out to 9 little bags with the same amount of grahams as the prepackaged things. So, these little snack bags cost me $0.24 each! Not bad! I compared this to the prepackaged bags at our local grocery store. There you get 12 little bags for $4.49 which works out to $0.37 each.

Ok, I also wanted another healthy snack. Ritz has those baked chips now that are yummy and healthier than regular chips. They were $2.50 at Wal-Mart. I know that many stores carry a generic that are just as good, so shop around! Anyway, the bag says about 13 crackers equals 1 serving. Again, this bag made 9 servings which equals $0.27 per bag.

I buy my ziploc bags at Sams Club and they cost about $0.01 each, so you can add that to the total cost of each bag of snacks. It only took a few minutes when I got home to bag all these things and put them in the pantry. Tomorrow when my son makes his lunch and I make my daughter's lunch, they will have ready to go snacks that didn't cost much! If you have done this with other snacks, please share about how much it cost. Happy saving!

No comments: